Founders and production
Guido Marello is Rosa Rizzo
We have chosen to deal exclusively with gluten-free cereals, addressing those who suffer from this intolerance and celiac disease, offering everyone the opportunity to get closer to a healthy and natural diet, without sacrificing the unique flavors and pleasures of the table.
As a young farmer curious to discover and re-evaluate the traditions of the territory, Guido decided to also recover some ancient native Piedmontese corn varieties, bringing out the extraordinary organoleptic, gustatory and chromatic qualities.
This is where the idea of creating special blends of gluten-free flours comes from, as well as the desire to rediscover the ancient craft of the miller with stone mills, precisely to produce unique and special flours, suitable for everyone.
The main gluten-free flour, particularly suitable for all celiacs, to which we dedicate ourselves is that of corn, ground both in integral form and tumbled using different sieves to obtain the specific granulometry for the correct gastronomic application. From the cultivation of various fine varieties of vitreous corn and ancient Piedmontese native corns, we can supply flours with different aromas, as well as granulometry, satisfying any particular market request in the sector of high quality stone-ground flours. The offer extends from flours for polenta to those for sweets and baked goods, up to those dedicated to breading and doughs.
White sorghum flour
We have dedicated a small agricultural area to the cultivation of a particular variety of sorghum without tannins. The gluten-free sorghum flour we produce comes from the very fine stone grinding of white grains. The peculiarity is the absence of tannins and the high percentage of starch contained. The taste of this flour is pleasant and soft, characteristics that make it very suitable for use in pastry doughs and baked goods, ideal for celiacs and people intolerant to gluten. The high percentage of starch helps to bind the doughs obtained from mixtures of gluten-free flours, which by their nature have little aptitude to remain bound after cooking.
Round whole grain rice flour
Rice flour is widely used in the most varied preparations, from white breading to biscuit dough, in addition to other mixes of different flours, to customize your recipe as well as to tie the dough. For our rice flours we have made precise choices: the use of a round grain variety and the grinding of only whole grains. We only use round grain rice because on average it guarantees a higher percentage of starch than fine and super fine rice varieties, helping to bind the dough during processing and cooking. Only whole grains of rice, because this allows us to select the particular variety of rice desired with its specific qualities. On the market, rice flours derive almost all from the grinding of the so-called “rotti”, that is, from the broken grains discarded during the selection of whole grains for risotto. The rotti are mixed together and then ground and the result is a flour of which neither the variety of rice of origin nor the precise percentage of starch is known.
Our gluten-free buckwheat flour comes from the grinding of the hulled grain, which is why it is very light, it is also very fine to allow the dough to bind with the other ingredients.
It is suitable for mixing with other flours for pizza, bread, desserts and baked goods in general.
HOW WE GROW AND PROCESS CEREALS
We grow all the cereals that we grind directly on our farm, taking care of all stages of production:
- Sowing - we choose the best varieties of cereals and ancient varieties for our flours, using integrated farming techniques, with rotation of fields and the use of non-chemical fertilizers.
- Collection - we collect the cereals with our equipment so as not to have gluten cross-contamination;
- Drying - we dry our cereals with an innovative radiofrequency system, unique in Europe, with zero impact on the environment, which in addition to lowering humidity also reduces bacterial loads and keeps all the taste / olfactory properties and colors of the cereal, as well as guaranteeing softer, voluminous flour that works well in gluten-free doughs.
- Decortication - we hull cereals such as sorghum and buckwheat in stone without the use of chemicals.
- Optical selection of the beans - we select only the whole grains and not the broken ones and only the healthy ones, to prevent the formation of molds, bacteria and mycotoxins, which are harmful to the body.
- Cleaning - after optical selection and before grinding, we carry out a further cleaning and brushing of the grains, for a clean and ready grain to be transformed into flour.
- Stone grinding - exclusively with natural stone, which, not working at very high temperatures, maintains all the organoleptic properties of the cereals unaltered.